Halloween is fast approaching, which means lots of fun costumes, trick or treating, and plenty of adorable pet Halloween costumes showing up on your social media feeds. Unfortunately, though, for our fur babies, Halloween also brings lots of delicious, tempting, and dangerous treats! Below are some helpful tips to keep your four-legged family members safe this Halloween.
It’s Not Just Chocolate!
It’s more than just chocolate to beware of on Halloween! Some other candy or treats to watch out for include:
- Raisins and chocolate-covered raisins
- Sugar-free candy (or candy that contains xylitol)
- Carmel apples
- Candy corn
- Macadamia nuts
You should hide these goodies on a top shelf or high pantry that isn’t easily accessible. If you have a pet that is still able to access these areas, it is recommended to use child locks as well!
Help! My Dog Still Ate Chocolate!
Don’t panic! While chocolate is toxic to dogs, the level of danger to your pet varies on the type of chocolate consumed, how much chocolate was consumed, and your pet’s body weight.
The first thing to do would be to call your veterinarian and they can determine how to proceed. When calling your vet, it is best to have this information handy:
- The type of chocolate (dark, milk, baking, etc.)
- Your best guess as to how much chocolate was consumed (including if wrappers were consumed)
This information will help your veterinarian determine the best course of action.
Have a safe and fun Halloween!