As many of us know, Australia is currently in a state of crisis due to excessive bushfires. Bushfires are a common occurence in Australia during the summer season, which is opposite of our summer here in America. With the heat reaching record highs and a long-lasting drought, the chance of fires heightens immensely. This particular fire started back in September and has been destroying land, wildlife, and homes since. With a confirmed 25 people dead, more than 2,000 homes destroyed, an estimated 480 million animals dead, and 15 million acres of land destroyed, this has quickly become the largest bushfire since 2009.
We would like to take this opportunity to provide a list of reputable charities that are taking donations to assist Australia in their time of need. Donating to charity can be stressful and confusing at times.
Unfortunately, there are many charties made to scam and take advantage of kindness. Be sure to always research who you’re donating to by reading the fine print and even reading donor reviews if needed. We’ve provided a list of reputable charities below to save you some of the stress if you’re looking to donate.
Helping the people:
– The Australian Red Cross is helping by supporting people in evacuation and recovery centers across Australia. https://www.redcross.org.au/campaigns/disaster-relief-and-recovery-donate#donate
– Salvation Army Australia is providing meals and support to evacuees and first responders in multiple areas. https://www.salvationarmy.org.au/donate/make-a-donation/donate-online/?appeal=disasterappeal
– St. Vincent de Paul Society is helping families recover by providing food and clothing, help with bills and donating household items whose homes were destroyed. https://donate.vinnies.org.au/appeals-nsw/vinnies-nsw-bushfire-appeal-nsw
– Foodbank is one of the largest hunger-relief charities in Australia and is accepting monetary and food donations. https://www.foodbank.org.au/support-us/make-a-donation/?state=nsw-act
Helping the wildlife:
– WIRES is a nonprofit Australian organization that focuses on rescuing and caring for sick, injured and orphaned native animals. https://www.wires.org.au/blog/emergency-donations-to-help-wildlife
– WWF is a foundation widely known for it’s effort to help and conserve and protect wildlife. WWF Australia is currently directing their efforts toward koala conservation, as they are amongst the highest in injuries and deaths during these fires. https://www.wwf.org.au/get-involved/bushfire-emergency#gs.s8sy0h
Leave A Comment