Halloween is around the corner and that means lots of fun costumes, trick or treating, and plenty of adorable pet Halloween costumes around our homes. Unfortunately, for our fur babies, Halloween also brings lots of delicious, tempting, and dangerous treats! Below are some helpful tips to keep your four-legged family members safe this Halloween.

It’s Not Just Chocolate!

It’s more than just chocolate to beware of on Halloween! Some other candy or treats to watch out for include:

  • Raisins and chocolate-covered raisins
  • Sugar-free candy (or candy that contains xylitol)
  • Carmel apples
  • Candy corn
  • Macadamia nuts

To be safe any candy, nuts, or chocolate should be on a top shelf or high pantry that isn’t easily accessible. If you have a pet that is still able to access these areas, it is recommended to use child locks as well!

Help! My Dog Still Ate…….

Don’t panic! Helpful Hints when your dog eats something they shouldn’t….

  • Determine exactly what was eaten and how much and when it was eaten
  • While chocolate is toxic to dogs, the level of danger to your pet varies on the type of chocolate consumed, if your pet ate chocolate it is helpful to know:
    • The type of chocolate (dark, milk, baking, etc.)
    • Your best guess as to how much chocolate was consumed (including if wrappers were consumed)
    • How long ago they ate the chocolate

This information will help your veterinarian determine the best course of action.

Depending on what your pet ate it may require a call to Poison Control.

In the event your dog eats something they shouldn’t have after our normal business hours, please contact an emergency facility or Pet Poison Control ASAP for immediate advice or to seek treatment.

ASPCA –Poison Control
888-426 – 4435


Pet Poison Helpline